We are proud to have the support of six Patrons, all of whom are eminent figures from the worlds of science and academia.
Our Patrons are:
• Lord Martin Rees OM FRS
• Sir Colin Blakemore FMedSci FRS
• Dame Athene Donald DBE FRS
• Sir Timothy Gowers FRS
• Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith FRS
• Sir Hew Strachan DL FRSE FRHistS FBA
Our activities include studies of science and policy issues, regular public discussion and education meetings, and engagement with politicians and government officials.
Our publications include in-depth scientific and policy research, as well as newsletters, our Annual Reports and reports from conferences and events.
Our youth wing, SYP UK, is also extremely active and publishes updates on news and events here
Current projects include research on the ethics of armed robotic systems, the potential impact of emerging technologies on nuclear weapon systems, the climate-nuclear nexus and continued work on future energy options for the UK.
Recent projects include the WMD Awareness public education campaign and efforts to establish a British Disarmament Institute.
British Pugwash (BP) is a membership organisation for scientists, social scientists, practitioners and others interested in peace, disarmament and other issues with scientific or technical aspects. Benefits of membership include:
- Invitations throughout the year to events on cutting-edge issues
- A regular newsletter
- Opportunities to network with and instigate research projects with other members, including in our international Pugwash community
- Free admission to SYP UK conferences
For background on BP activity, read:
The fee for senior members of British Pugwash is £25 per year but this has been reduced to £5 per year for people under 30 years old.…