Our Patrons are:
• Lord Martin Rees OM FRS
• Sir Colin Blakemore FMedSci FRS
• Dame Athene Donald DBE FRS
• Sir Timothy Gowers FRS
• Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith FRS
• Prof Margaret MacMillan CH
• General Sir Nick Parker KCB CBE
• Sir Hew Strachan DL FRSE FRHistS
• Prof Angela Vincent FMedSci FRS
Our activities include studies of science and policy issues, regular public discussion and education meetings, and engagement with politicians and government officials.
Our publications include in-depth scientific and policy research, as well as newsletters, our Annual Reports and reports from conferences and events.
Our youth wing, SYP UK, is also extremely active and publishes updates on news and events here
Current projects include research on the ethics of armed robotic systems, the potential impact of emerging technologies on nuclear weapon systems, the climate-nuclear nexus and continued work on future energy options for the UK.
Recent projects include the WMD Awareness public education campaign and efforts to establish a British Disarmament Institute.
British Pugwash is a membership organisation that brings together scientists and others concerned with international affairs and disarmament.
We are led by our Executive Committee and receive the support of seven Patrons.
The Executive Committee comprises:
• Peter Jenkins CMG (Chairman)
• Dr Ian Crossland (Treasurer)
• Andrew Gibson (Secretary)
• Dr. Christopher Watson
• Dr David Ellwood
• Dr Mamdouh El-Shanawany
• Anuradha Damale
• Sally Milne
• Dr Richard Guthrie
On 3rd August (5pm), Student/Young Pugwash (SYP) hosted its third webinar.
The guest speaker was Sahil Shah, a Policy Fellow at the European Leadership Network and expert on the Iran Nuclear Deal (‘JCPOA’).…
SYP UK held its second webinar, on the ethical, political and technical issues around lethal autonomous weapons (or ‘killer robots’), on 30th June 2020.
- Laura Nolan, a software engineer who recently resigned from Google in protest over its involvement with the US DoD’s ‘Project Maven’ – Starts at 0min20s – Slides here
- Elizabeth Minor, an Advisor at Article 36, an NGO that works to develop new legal standards to prevent civilian harm from weapons – Starts at 20mins30s – Slides here
- David Ellwood, a theoretical physicist, mathematician, and Exec Committee member of British Pugwash (former Research Director of the Clay Mathematics Institute) – Starts at 37mins – Slides here
The webinar was chaired by Orlanda Gill, a University of Warwick graduate.…
SYP UK held its first webinar, on the topic how COVID-19 is affecting the fields of arms control, non-proliferation and disarmament (16th June 2020)
The guest speaker was Sebastian Brixey-Williams, Co-Director of the arms control think tank British American Security Information Council (BASIC).…
Topics covered in the British Pugwash June 2020 Newsletter include:
- Video – British Pugwash Lecture at Hay Literary Festival – Jim Al-Khalili on ‘The World According to Physics’ (online 2020)
- SYP UK Webinar: The pandemic and non-proliferation, 16th June
The newsletter can be found online here…
Royal Society / Pugwash Collaboration:
People of Science – Sir Jo Rotblat (featuring Prof Brian Cox & Lord Martin Rees)
We are delighted to announce that the Royal Society video on Pugwash and its founder (Sir Joseph Rotblat) is now available on YouTube (here).…