On 20th January, Oxford Student/Young Pugwash hosted Dr. Darren Byler and Rahima Mahmut, to discuss China’s deployment of digital surveillance technologies against Muslim minority groups and the experience of the Uyghur people.…
Student Young Pugwash Events RSS feed for this section
In this SYP UK webinar, Dr Kanta Dihal (Leverhulme Future of Intelligence Centre) discussed her work on Decolonising AI and Julia Slupska (Digital Ethics Lab) talked about feminist cybersecurity.
The Chair was Niamh Healy (UCL), SYP UK President.…
In this webinar, SYP UK hosted Riley Taitingfong and Dr Hilding Neilson discussed science and technology from the perspective of Indigenous communities.
Riley Taitingfong, a PhD candidate at UCSD (here), introduced her work on gene drives on Pacific Ocean islands in the context of historic and ongoing impacts of settler colonialism and military experimentation.…
This SYP webinar looked at the role of tech workers and STEM students in efforts to challenge the rise of lethal autonomous weapons (‘killer robots’).
Our guest speaker was Taniel Yusef (WILPF UK), who is researching the views of and current regulatory frameworks for STEMists working on robot-relevant tech.…
In this webinar, SYP UK hosted Adina Pintilie, who specialises in applying open sources to research tasks at Ridgeway Information (bio here). Her work involves finding new tools and refining novel research techniques, particularly supporting the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).…
Student/Young Pugwash (SYP) UK is hosting its first festival.
A series of events throughout November on ethical and political challenges in 21st Century science & technology.
The line-up includes:
- Wed 4th – Ethics & Digital Technologies – w/ Julia Slupska (Digital Ethics Lab, here) and Dr Kanta Dihal (here) – 17:00 UK
- Sat 7th – Transition Now – Technology & the Climate Emergency (Partner event – Hosted by SGR) – 14:00 UK
- Mon 9th – Ethics in Open Source Research – w/ Adina Pintilie (Ridgeway Information, here) – 17:00 UK
- Tues 17th – Codes for Coders: Killer robots, ethics and the law – w/ Taniel Yusef (WILPF UK, here) – 18:00 UK
- Tues 24th – Science and Indigenous Peoples – w/ Hilding Neilson and Riley Taitingfong (led by Oxford SYP ) – 18:00 UK
For event login details, materials and updates: